IRI STATS (Industry
Research Institute), 2002
-Hair Growth products are the #19th fastest growing category in all sectors (Food & Drug, Mass, Health etc.)
-Sales rose by 28.3% in the past 52 weeks.
-Over 26 million in sales over the past 52 weeks.
IMPORTANT FACTS ABOUT HAIR
-You lose on average 80 hairs a day.
- There are some 120,000 hairs on the entire human scalp. Blondes have more hairs - sometimes as many as 140,000 - and redheads only about 90,000. Black and brown heads run nearer the average. Flaxen hair is the finest, from 1/1500 to 1/500 of an inch in diameter...and black hair is the coarsest, from 1/450 to 1/140 of an inch.
- The average adult will wash their hair 170 times over the course of six months.
- The'men on mothers' side' can determine hereditary baldness.
- Hair is much more elastic than is usually realized. A hair can be stretched one-fifth of its length. It can support two to five ounces of weight without breaking.
- As is generally known, the dampness or dryness of the atmosphere affects the curliness of the hair, since it is very sensitive to moisture. The characteristic has been put to use in the manufacture of hygrometers, instruments that measure the amount of moisture in the air.
- Although various styles of hair dressing often seem highly artificial, there is evidence that they were originally influenced by the natural tendencies of the hair to grow in certain directions in certain places. There is a natural parting of the hair of the head. A part on the left side is found most commonly; one in the middle comes next; least common is a part on the right side. While it has never been a hairdresser's inspiration to start a vogue of parting the eyebrows, the fact is that the hair of the left eyebrow shows a strong tendency to part, as does the hair on the left scalp.
- In one square inch of the scalp, approximately 2mm thick, there are actually 20 million cells, about 65 hairs and muscles, close to 100 oil glands, 100 sweat glands, 20 blood vessels, 75 nerves and heat indicators, 12 indicators for cold, 1300 nerve endings and 100 indicators for touch.